Proximal relationship between hypothyroidism and periodontitis: “A clinical representation”
A clinical representation
Hypothyroidism is a systemic condition in which thyroid gland is underactive and production of thyroid hormones is diminished, resulting in metabolic slowdown. Thyroid disease can lead to imbalance in hemostasis of the body and affect the healing capacity of tissues. This case report presents the influence of thyroid hormone dysfunction and its impact on periodontal disease progression in 55 year old female patient giving the chief complaint of bleeding gums and increased gum size. The report emphasizes the need for interventions by health care providers in patients with hypothyroidism to preserve their oral and overall health
2. Little, J. W. (2006). Thyroid disorders. Part II: Hypothyroidism and thyroiditis. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, 102(2), 148–153. 10.1016/j.tripleo.2005.05.070
3. Mosekilde, L. , Eriksen, E. F. , & Charles, P. (1990). Effects of thyroid hormones on bone and mineral metabolism. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, 19(1), 35–63. 10.1016/S0889-8529(18)30338-4
4. Araujo, V. M. , Melo, I. M. , & Lima, V. (2015). Relationship between periodontitis and rheumatoid arthritis: Review of the literature. Mediators of Inflammation, 2015, 259074–259015. 10.1155/2015/259074
5. Klein, J. R. (2006). The immune system as a regulator of thyroid hormone activity. Experimental Biology and Medicine (Maywood, N.J.), 231(3), 229–236. 10.1177/153537020623100301
6. Habashneh, R. A. , Khader, Y. S. , Alhumouz, M. K. , Jadallah, K. , & Ajlouni, Y. (2012). The association between inflammatory bowel disease and periodontitis among Jordanians: A case‐control study. Journal of Periodontal Research, 47(3), 293–298. 10.1111/j.1600-0765.2011.01431.x
7. Genco, R. , Offenbacher, S. , & Beck, J. (2002). Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease: Epidemiology and possible mechanisms. Journal of the American Dental Association (1939), 133(Suppl), 14s–22s. 10.14219/jada.archive.2002.0375
8. Ladenson PW, Singer PA, Ain KB, Bagchi N, Bigos ST, Levy EG, et al. American Thyroid Association guidelines for detection of thyroid dysfunction. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:1573-5
9. Baloch Z, Carayon P, Conte-Devoix B, Demers LM, Feldt-Rasmussen U, Henry JF, et al.; Guidelines Committee, National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry. Laboratory medicine practice guidelines. Laboratory support for the diagnosis and monitoring of thyroid disease. Thyroid 2003;13:3-126. 7.
10. Unnikrishnan AG, Kalra S, Sahay RK, Bantwal G, John M, Tewari N. Prevalence of hypothyroidism in adults: An epidemiological study in eight cities of India. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17: 647-52
11. Silverton SF. Endocrine disease. In: Greenberg MS, Glick M, editors. Burket’s Oral Medicine Diagnosis and Treatment. 10th ed. Spain: BC Decker Inc; 2003. p. 578-91.