Clinical Efficacy of Two Denture Adhesives Among Complete Denture Patients: A Cross-over Randomized Clinical Trial
Aims and objectives: The clinical efficacy of different forms of denture adhesives have been inconsistent among studies with unclear differences among them. The aim of this study is to evaluate the masticatory efficiency and satisfaction of complete denture wearers without and with the use of two different forms of commercially available denture adhesives.
Material and Methods: 30 edentulous participants with new complete dentures placed one month before the commencement of the study were included in this cross-over randomized clinical trial (CTRI/2021/07/035238) which compared a powder adhesive and a cream adhesive along with no adhesive use. The objective assessment used the Edlund and Lamm index for masticatory efficiency and the subjective assessment followed a specially designed questionnaire. Both assessments were carried out on days 0,7 and 21. One-way ANOVA was used to compare the objective data and the questionnaire responses were obtained as percentages.
Results: The one-way ANOVA test for difference between the groups was statistically insignificant for all layers (P>.05). The questionnaire responses revealed that 53.3% of the participants preferred the use of cream adhesive over powder adhesive.
Conclusions: No significant difference in the masticatory efficiency was noted between the two denture adhesives and without adhesive use. Patient satisfaction was greater with adhesive use showing a predilection towards cream adhesive due to its longer duration of action and improved chewing ability.
2. Bajoria AA, Saldanha S, Shenoy VK. Evaluation of satisfaction with masticatory efficiency of new conventional complete dentures in edentulous patients--a survey. Gerodontology. 2012;29:231-8.
3. Munoz CA, Gendreau L, Shanga G, Magnuszewski T, Fernandez P, Durocher J. A clinical study to evaluate denture adhesive use in well-fitting dentures. J Prosthodont. 2012;21:123-9.
4. Koronis S, Pizatos E, Polyzois G, Lagouvardos P. Clinical evaluation of three denture cushion adhesives by complete denture wearers. Gerodontology. 2012;29:161-9.
5. Fujimori T, Hirano S, Hayakawa I. Effects of a denture adhesive on masticatory functions for complete denture wearers--consideration for the condition of denture-bearing tissues--. J Med Dent Sci. 2002;49:151-6.
6. Grasso JE. Denture adhesives. Dent Clin North Am. 2004;48:721-33.
7. Neill DJ, Roberts BJ. The effect of denture fixatives on masticatory performance in complete denture patients. J Dent. 1973;1:219-22.
8. Kossioni AE. Prevalence and Factors Associated with the Use of Denture Adhesives by Older Complete Denture Wearers. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2018;26:197-201.
9. Ito Y, Hong G, Tsuboi A, Kawai Y, Kondo H, Nomura T, et al. Multivariate analysis reveals oral health-related quality of life of complete denture wearers with denture adhesives: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. J Prosthodont Res. 2021;65:353-359.
10. Mantri S, Vinay S, Deogade S, Mishra P, Galav A, Sharma K. Knowledge, attitude and practices of denture adhesives use among private dental practitioners' of jabalpur city, madhya pradesh: a cross sectional survey. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2014;14:243-50.
11. Kapur KK. A clinical evaluation of denture adhesives. J Prosthet Dent. 1967;18:550-8.
12. de Oliveira Junior NM, Rodriguez LS, Mendoza Marin DO, Paleari AG, Pero AC, Compagnoni MA. Masticatory performance of complete denture wearers after using two adhesives: a crossover randomized clinical trial. J Prosthet Dent. 2014;112:1182-7.
13. Gonçalves TM, Viu FC, Gonçalves LM, Garcia RC. Denture adhesives improve mastication in denture wearers. Int J Prosthodont. 2014;27:140-6.
14. Torres-Sánchez C, Montoya-Salazar V, Torres-Lagares D, Gutierrez-Pérez JL, Jimenez-Castellanos E. Comparison of masticatory efficacy among complete denture wearers with two adhesives and dentate individuals: A randomized, crossover, double-blind clinical trial. J Prosthet Dent. 2017;117:614-620.
15. Ohwada G, Minakuchi S, Sato Y, Kondo H, Nomura T, Tsuboi A, et al. Subjective Evaluation of Denture Adhesives: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. JDR Clin Trans Res. 2020;5:50-61.
16. Oliveira NM, Shaddox LM, Toda C, Paleari AG, Pero AC, Compagnoni MA. Methods for evaluation of masticatory efficiency in conventional complete denture wearers: a systematized review. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2014;13:757-62.
17. Florêncio Costa RT, Leite Vila-Nova TE, Barbosa de França AJ, Gustavo da Silva Casado B, de Souza Leão R, Dantas de Moraes SL. Masticatory performance of denture wearers with the use of denture adhesives: A systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2022;127:233-238.
18. Pradíes G, Sanz I, Evans O, Martnez F, Sanz M. Clinical study comparing the efficacy of two denture adhesives in complete denture patients. Int J Prosthodont. 2009;22:361-7.
19. Edlund J, Lamm CJ. Masticatory efficiency. J Oral Rehabil. 1980;7:123-30.
20. Eberhard L, Oh K, Eiffler C, Rammelsberg P, Kappel S, Schindler HJ, Giannakopoulos NN. Adaptation to new complete dentures-is the neuromuscular system outcome-oriented or effort-oriented? Clin Oral Investig. 2018;22:2309-2317.