A Unique Case of Sialolith in Stensen’s Duct in A Young Boy: A Case Report
Salivary gland sialolith are rare in the paediatric population though they are common in adults. Parotid ductal sialoliths account for only 3% of all cases of sialolithiasis. It is more common in submandibular duct. The usual presentation is pain and swelling during mealtimes owing to salivary duct obstruction. Different modalities can be used to make the diagnosis starting from history, physical examination, ultrasound, sialography, or CT scan. The mainstay of treatment is surgery and the extent of surgery depends on whether the stone is in the salivary duct or intraglandular portion. Here, we report a rare case of unilateral sialolithiasis in stensen duct in a 7 year old male child which was removed trans-orally.
2. Graziani F, Vano M, Cei S, et al. Unusual asymptomatic giant sialolith of
submandibular gland. A clinical report. J Craniofacial Surg 2006;17:549.
3. Eigner TL, Jastak JT, Bennett WM. Achieving oral health in patients with renal
failure and renal transplants. J Am Dent Assoc 1986;113:612.
4. Sharma RK, Al-Khalifaa S, Paulose KO, et al. Parotid duct stone—removal by a
dormia basket. J Laryngol Otol 1994;108:699–701.
5. Hardy KJ. Submandibular calculous disease, Royal Melbourne Hospital, 1954-1963. Med J Aust 1966: 16: 670-1.
6. Levi DM, Remine WH, Devine KD. Salivary gland calculi. JAMA 1962: 181: 1115-9.
7.Walvekar Rohan R, Bomeli Steven R, Carrau Ricardo L, Schaitkin Barry (2009) Combined approached technique for management of large salivary stones. Laryngoscope 119: 1125-1129.
8. Kalim A, Syed S A, Hashmi G, Tabishur R, Mohd A A. Two Cases of Unusual Size Sialolith in Wharton’s Duct With Review of Literature. Adv Dent & Oral Health. 2017; 4(2): 555633. DOI: 10.19080/ADOH.2017.04.555633. 004.
9. Moghe S, Pillai A, Thomas S, et al. (2012) BMJ Case Reports doi:10.1136/bcr-2012-007480.
10. Markiewicz MR, Margarone 3rd JE, Tapia JL, Aguirre A: Sialolithiasis in a residual Wharton’s duct after excision of a submandibular salivary gland, J Laryngol Otol 121(2):182–185, 2007.
11.McEntee GP, Manners AR, Peel AL. Sialography in salivary gland disease. Br J Surg 1986;73:807–809.
12. Chandra, Srinivasa Rama. "Sialoendoscopy: Review and Nuances of Technique." Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 18, no. 1 (August 14, 2018): 1–10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12663-018-1141-0.