To evaluate the knowledge and awareness of Dental Implants and Periimplantitis among students of HCDSH, Hazaribag, Jharkhand: A Questionnaire Survey
Introduction: Dental implants are widely accepted as a prosthetic treatment of completely or partially edentulous patients ever since the concept of Osseo integration has been accepted. However, there is a lack of information regarding the knowledge of Dental Implants and especially, the awareness of Peri-implantitis among students.
Objective: To evaluate the knowledge and awareness of Dental Implants and Peri-implantitis among students of HCDSH, Hazaribag, Jharkhand.
Materials and Method: A cross sectional Survey was conducted among 210 participants which included both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students of HCDSH, Hazaribag, Jharkhand using a self-explanatory questionnaire. The awareness about maintaining the hygiene for dental implants, cost, advantages, disadvantages and also knowledge about periimplantitis was assessed and the results were tabulated.
Results: 98.5% of students had heard about dental implants. 64.4% students cited high cost as the biggest disadvantage of a dental implant. Only 54.7% of students had heard about Periimplantitis. 59.8% of students didn’t know the clinical features of Periimplantitis. 68.8% of students had never heard of peri implant mucositis. 68.5% of students were clueless when it came to the clinical feature of Peri implant mucositis and 65.2% of students did not know the sequelae for Peri implant disease.
Conclusion: The results of the present survey showed that the majority of the students were largely aware about dental implants but a significant majority of them were unaware about periimplantitis.
2. Narby B, Kronström M, Söderfeldt B, Palmqvist S. Changes in attitudes toward desire for implant treatment: A longitudinal study of a middle-aged and older Swedish population. Int J Prosthodont 2008; 21:481-5.
3. Zitzmann NU, Berglundh T. Definition and prevalence of peri‐implant diseases. J clin periodontol. 2008 Sep; 35:286-91.
4. Lindhe J, Meyle J, Group D of the European Workshop on Periodontology. Peri‐implant diseases: consensus report of the sixth European workshop on periodontology. J clin periodontol. 2008 Sep; 35:282-5.
5. Zimmer CM, Zimmer WM, Williams J, Liesener J. Public awareness and acceptance of dental implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1992;7(2):228-32.
6. Berge TI. Public awareness, information sources and evaluation of oral implant treatment in Norway. Clin Oral Implants Res 2000;11(5):401-8.
7. Tepper G, Haas R, Mailath G, Teller C, Zechner W, Watzak G, et al. Representative marketing-oriented study on implants in the Austrian population. I. Level of information, sources of information and need for patient information. Clin Oral Implants Res 2003;14(5):621-33.
8. Johany SA, Zoman HA, Juhaini MA. Refeai MA. Dental patients’ awareness and knowledge in using dental implants as an option in replacing missing teeth: A survey in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Saudi Dent J 2010; 22:183-8.
9. Chowdhary R, Mankani N, Chandraker NK. Awareness of dental implants as a treatment choice in urban Indian populations. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2010;25(2):305-8.
10. Saha A, Dutta S, Vijaya V, Rajnikant N. Awareness among patients regarding Implants as a treatment option for replacement of missing teeth in Chattisgarh. J Int Oral Health 2013; 5(5):48-52.
11. Kaurani P, Kaurani M. Awareness of Dental Implants as a Treatment Modality Amongst People Residing in Jaipur (Rajasthan). J Clin Diagn Res 2010; 4:3622-6.