Endocrown: An Alternative Approach for Restoring Endodontically Treated Molar
A Case Report
Abstract- The endocrown is described as a monolithic (one-piece) ceramic bonded construction characterized by a supra-cervical butt joint, retaining maximum enamel to improve adhesion. It is milled using computer-aided techniques or by molding ceramic materials under pressure.
Key words- Endocrown, Endodontically Treated Teeth, CAD/CAM, Post-endo Restoration
1. Pissis P. Fabrication of a metal-free ceramic restoration utilizing the monobloc technique. Practical periodontics and aesthetic dentistry. PPAD 1995;7(5):83-94
2. Hargreaves KM. Cohen's pathways of the pulp. St. Louis: Mosby 2011
3. Fages M, Bennasar B. The Endocrown: A Different Type of All-Ceramic Reconstruction for Molars. J can dent assoc 2013; 79:(140)
4. G. R. Biacchi, R. T. Basting, Comparison of fracture strength of endocrowns and glass fiber post-retained conventional crowns. Oper Dent 2012;37(2): 130– 136.
5. Heydecke G, Butz F, Strub JR. Fracture strength and survival rate of endodontically treated maxillary incisors with approximal cavities after restoration with different post and core systems: an in-vitro study. J Dent. 2001;29(6):427-33.
6. . Bernhart J, Bräuning A, Altenburger MJ, Wrbas KT. Cerec3D endocrowns — two-year clinical examination of CAD/CAM crowns for restoring endodontically treated molars. Int J Comput Dent. 2010;13(2):141-54.
7. Biacchi GR, Basting RT. Comparison of fracture strength of endocrowns and glass fiber post-retajned conventinal crowns. Oper Dent. 2012;37(2):130-6.
8. N. R. Dartora, M. B. de Conto Ferreira, I. C. M. Moris et al., Effect of intracoronal depth of teeth restored with Case Reports in Dentistry 5 endocrowns on fracture resistance: in vitro and 3-dimensional finite element analysis. J Endod 2018; 44(7): 1179 –1185
9. Y. Silva-Sousa, E. A. Gomes, N. R. Dartora et al., Mechanical behavior of endodontically treated teeth with different endocrowns extensions. Dent Mater 2017; 33(1) :73–74
10. M. M. Belle flamme, S. O. Geerts, M. M. Louwette, C. F. Grenade, A. J. Vanheusden, and A. K. Mainjot, no post-no core approach to restore severely damaged posterior teeth: an up to 10-year retrospective study of documented endocrown cases. J Dent 2017; 63: 1 –7
11. R. Menezes-Silva, C. A. V. Espinoza, M. T. Atta, M. F. L. Navarro, S. K. Ishikiriama, and R. F. L. Mondelli, Endocrown: a conservative approach. Br Dent Scien 2016;(19) 2
12. R. B. Carlos, M. Thomas Nainan, S. Pradhan, R. Sharma et al. Restoration of endodontically treated molars using all ceramic endocrowns. Case Rep Dent 2013; 210763:5
13. C. L. Lin, Y. H. Chang, C. Y. Chang, C. A. Pai, et al. Finite element, and Weibull analyses to estimate failure risks in the ceramic endocrown and classical crown for endodontically treated maxillary premolar. Eu J Oral Scien 2010;118 (1):87–93.
14. F. Zarone, R. Sorrentino, D. Apicella et al. Evaluation of the biomechanical behavior of maxillary central incisors restored by means of endocrowns compared to a natural tooth: a 3D static linear finite elements analysis. Dent Mater 2006;22(11) :1035–1044