Local Drug Delivery of Aloe Vera Gel in Chronic Periodontitis Patient.
BACKGROUND- Since historical times, for both medical and dental therapy many herbal agents, like Aloe vera (AV), have been used. Aloe vera (AV) belonging to the Liliaceae Family, presents with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and immune boosting properties. It also promotes wound healing by accelerating epithelial cell migration and collagen maturation, facilitating tissue restoration. This study aims at investigating the clinical effectiveness of locally delivered AV gel used as an adjunct to scaling and root planing (SRP) in the treatment of chronic periodontitis (CP).
MATERIAL AND METHODS: Sixty patients with probing depth (PD) ≥5mm and clinical attachment (CA) level ≥3mm were randomly divided into two groups. All patients underwent SRP. Aloe Vera gel was locally delivered in Group 1 patients and Placebo in Group 2 patients. Clinical recording of full mouth plaque index (PI), bleeding index (BI), probing depth (PD) and clinical attachment (CA) level was done first at baseline and then at intervals of 3 months and 6 months.
RESULT: Patients in AV group showed significantly greater mean reductions in PI, BI and PD and mean gain in CA level compared to those in placebo group from baseline to 3 months. Gain in CA level was significantly greater in AV group at all time intervals than the placebo group.
CONCLUSION: Adjunctive use of AV gel LDD, in comparison to placebo gel LDD, is associated with greater reduction in PI, BI and PD as well as more gain in CA level in patients with CP.
2. Van Dyke TE, Lester MA, Shapira L. The role of the host response in periodontal disease progression: implication for future treatment strategies. J Periodontol 1993;64:792–806.
3. Offenbacher S, Odle BM, Van Dyke TE. The use of crevicular fluid prostaglandin E2 levels as a predictor of periodontal attachment loss. J Periodontal Res 1986
4. . Kornman KS, Löe H (1993) The role of local factors in the etiology of periodontal diseases. Periodontol 2000.
5.. Lorenzetti LJ, Salisbury R, Beal JL, Baldwin JN. Bacteriostatic property of aloe vera. J Pharma Sci 1964.
6.Grindlay D, Reynolds T (1986) The Aloe vera phenomenon: a review of the properties and modern uses of the leaf parenchyma gel. .
7. Shelton RM (1991) Aloe vera. Its chemical and therapeutic properties. Int J Dermatol
8. Villalobos OJ, Salazar CR, Sẚnchez GR (2001) Effect of a mouthwash made of Aloe vera on plaque and gingival inflammation.
9. De Oliveira SM, Torres TC, Pereira SL, Mota OM, Carlos MX (2008) Effect of a dentifrice containing Aloe vera on plaque and gingivitis control.
10. 18. Harjit Kaur Virdi (2012) Effect of locally delivered aloe vera gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: A clinical study Indian Journal of Oral Sciences
11. Arundhathy A Nairet al The Comparison of the Antiplaque Effect of Aloe Vera, Chlorhexidine and Placebo Mouth Washes on Gingivitis Patients
12. Geetha Bhat et al Aloe vera: Nature’s soothing healer to periodontal disease
13. Anahita Ashouri Moghaddamet al Clinical Evaluation of Effects of Local Application of Aloe vera Gel as an Adjunct to Scaling and Root Planning in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis
14. Prakash Singhet al Evaluation of local – delivery system containing 80% aloe vera gel used as an adjunct to scaling and root planning in chronic periodontitis: A clinical study
15. Swathi Vangipuram et al Comparative efficacy of aloe vera mouthwash and chlorhexidine on periodontal health: A randomized controlled trial
16. Dr. A R Pradeep MDSet al Adjunctive Local Delivery of Aloe Vera Gel in Type 2 Diabetics With Chronic Periodontitis : A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial
17.Oosterwaal PJ, Mikx FH, Van’t Hof MA, Renggli HH (1991) Comparison of the antimicrobial effect of the application ofchlorhexidine gel, amine fluoride gel and stannous fluoride gel in debrided periodontal pockets. J Clin Periodontol 18: 245-51.
18. Greenstein G, Polson A (1998) The role of local drug delivery in the management of periodontal disease: A comprehensive review. J Periodontol 69: 507-20.
19. Harjit Kaur Virdi (2012) Effect of locally delivered aloe vera gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: A clinical study. Indian Journal of Oral Sciences 3(2): 84-89.