Management of A Case of Fibro-epithelial Hyperplasia of Gingiva
Fibroepithelial hyperplasia/fibroma is an exophytic growth which occurs due to any reactive or chronic inflammatory condition of the gingiva by plaque, calculus, overhanging margins, trauma and dental appliances. These can cause discomfort to the patient and often causes difficulty in oral hygiene maintenance. This case report presents a case of a fibro-epithelial hyperplasia in a 37 years old female, who presented with a localized diffuse type of gingival enlargement in the left maxillary posterior teeth region. Based on clinical and histopathological evaluation the diagnosis of fibro-epithelial hyperplasia was made. The patient was then kept on regular follow-up and no recurrence of the lesion could be appreciated till date.
1. Kantarci A, Carranza FA, Hogan E. Gingival Enlargement. Newman and Carranza’s clinical periodontology. 13th edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2019. p.256-267.
2. prasanna J, Sehrawat S. Fibroepithelial hyperplasia: Rare, selflimiting condition-Two case reports. Journal of Advanced Oral Research. 2011 Oct;3(3):63-70.
3. Regezi JA, Sciubba JJ, Jordan RCK. Connective Tissue Lesions. Oral Pathology: Clinical Pathologic Correlations. 7th edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier; 2017. p.161-184.
4. Sachdeva S, Saluja H, Mani A, Patil R, Mani S, Mohammadi SN. Fibroepithelial hyperplasia. Pravara Medical Review. 2019 Jun 1;11(2):50-2.
5. Kfir Y, Buchner A, Hansen LS. Reactive lesions of the gingiva: a clinicopathological study of 741 cases. Journal of periodontology. 1980 Nov;51(11):655-61.
6. Shafer WG, Hine MK and Levy BM. Benign Tumors of Connective Tissue Origin. Shafer's.Textbook of Oral Pathology. 7th edition. New Delhi: Elsevier Publication;2012. P. 559.
7. Jain M, Singh AV, Leekha S, Prashar S. Fibroepithelial hyperplasia: a case report. International healthcare research journal. 2017 September 1;1(6):16-9.
8. Reddy H, Babu H, Gadewar K, Kumar P. Management of Idiopathic Gingival Enlargement. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR. 2016 ;10(5):ZJ03-ZJ04.
9. Dudala R, Halder S, Rajaram SS, Kulavi S, Sehnaz, De A. Normal anatomy and clinical significance of attached gingiva: A review. International Journal of Dental Science and Innovative Research. 2021 January; 4(1): 74-79.
10. Bharali J, Chaubey KK, Agarwal RR, Goldar K. Evaluation of the efficacy of diode laser and the combination of diode laser with 10% strontium chloride in the treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity. International Journal of Dental Science and Innovative Research. 2021 July; 4(4): 313-324.
11. Ananthakrishna S, Raghu TN, Koshy S, Kumar N. Clinical evaluation of the efficacy of bioactive glass and strontium chloride for treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity. Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry. 2012 May 1;2(2):92.