Prosthetic Rehabilitation of Acquired Maxillary Defect Secondary to Necrotizing Stomatitis: A Rare Case Report
Necrotizing stomatits is the necrotic inflammation of oral tissues requiring immediate surgical resection as a life saving measure. Prosthetic rehabilitation in such patients is a challenging task as large amount of ridge and palatal tissue is lost after resection leading to compromised retention, support and esthetics. This case report describes prosthetic rehabilitation of a patient with maxillary defect secondary to necrotizing stomatitis.
2. Lang N, Soskolne WA, Greenstein G, et al. Consensus report: necrotizing periodontal diseases. Ann Periodontol 1999; 4:78.
3. Scully, Crispian. Oral and maxillofacial medicine: the basis of diagnosis and treatment (2nd ed.). Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.2008. pp. 101, 347.
4. Horning GM, Cohen ME. Necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis, periodontitis, and stomatitis: clinical staging and predisposing factors. J Periodontol. 1995; 66: 990–998.
5. S. Reddy, K. Prasad, P. Chippagiri et al., Osteomyelitis of the maxilla: a case report of three cases; American Journal of Advances in Medical Science 2014. vol. 2, no. 3, 34–41.
6. Chalian, VA, Drane JB, Standish SM. The evolution and scope of maxillofacial prosthetics. In: Chalian VA, Drane JB, Standers SM editors. Maxillofacial Prosthetics: Multidisciplinary Practice.
7. Williams and Wilkins Company; Baltimore: USA, 1972. Beumer J, Curtis TA, Marunick MT. Maxillofacial rehabilitation: prosthodontic and surgical considerations. St Louis: Ishiyaku Euro America; 1996. p. 225-29.
8. Leanne M. Sykes, Johan F. Wolfaardt, Ashwin Sukha . Prosthodontic rehabilitation of a patient with total avulsion of the maxilla: A clinical report; J Prosthet Dent 2002; 88: 362-6.
9. Tanaka H. Speech patterns of edentulous patients and morphology of the palate in relations to phonetics. J Prosthet Dent 1973; 29(1):16-28.
10. Pogrel MA, Miller CE. A case of maxillary necrosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003; 61(4):489-93.
11. Sykes LM, Wolfaardt JF, Sukha A. Prosthodontic rehabilitation of a patient with total avulsion of the maxilla (a clinical report).J Prosthet Dent 2002;88(4):362-66.