Awareness of Periodontal Disease And its Influence on Systemic Health: A Survey Among Medical Professionals in State of Rajasthan (bikaner Subdivision).”
Background: Since past few decades, it is established that periodontitis has powerful influence on various systemic conditions. To maintain general health among the medical professionals this bidirectional link between periodontal and systemic health should be acquainted.
Aims: To evaluate knowledge, awareness and orientation of medical professionals towards periodontal diseases and its influence on systemic health in state of Rajasthan (Bikaner sub division). To aware medical professionals for overall improved health care delivery system and motivate referrals to periodontists in systemically ill patients.
Method and Material: Prepared questionnaire data was gathered from 503 medical professionals of various medical institutions in state of Rajasthan (Bikaner sub division). Study spanned from June 2019 to August 2019. Data was tabulated in Microsoft Excel sheet and subjected to statistical analysis. Mean and standard deviations of measurements per group were calculated, and differences between two groups were determined using chi square test.
Results: Majority of participants had basic knowledge regarding periodontal diseases but clinical orientation and practice behavior were very limited. Most of them were aware regarding systemic effects of periodontal diseases like chronic heart diseases, diabetes but were unaware of likely effects of periodontal diseases on conditions such as adverse pregnancy outcomes (PTLBW, PROM, and Preeclampsia) and hospital acquired pneumonia.
Conclusion: Medical practitioners had insufficient knowledge and limited clinical orientation about periodontal diseases and its potential influence on systemic conditions. This emphasizes need for periodontal education in medical field.
2. Eke PI, Dye BA, Wei L, Thornton-Evans GO, Genco RJ. CDC Periodontal Disease Surveillance workgroup: James Beck GDRP. Prevalence of periodontitis in adults in the United States: 2009 and 2010. J Dent Res 2012; 91: 914–20.
3. Geerts SO, Legrand V, Charpentier J, Albert A, Rompen EH. Further evidence of the association between periodontal conditions and coronary artery disease. J Periodontol 2004; 75: 1274–80.
4. Prabhu A, Michalowicz BS, Mathur A. Detection of local and systemic cytokines in adult periodontitis. J Periodontol 1996; 67: 515–22.
5. Leivadaros E, van der Velden U, Bizzarro S, ten Heggeler JM, Gerdes VE, Hoek FJ et al. A pilot study into measurements of markers of atherosclerosis in periodontitis. J Periodontol 2005; 76: 121–8.
6. Genco RJ, Grossi SG, Ho A, Nishimura F, and Murayama Y. A proposed model linking inflammation to obesity, diabetes, and periodontal infections. J Periodontol 2005; 76: 2075–84.
7. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes. 7thed. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2015. (Available from: http://www.diabetesatlas.org.)
8. Beck JD, Offenbacher S, Williams RC, Gibbs P, Garcia R. Periodontitis: a risk factor for coronary heart disease? Ann Periodontol 1998; 3: 127–41.
9. Offenbacher S, Beck JD, Lieff S, Slade G. Role of periodontitis in systemic health: Spontaneous preterm birth. J Dent Ed 1998; 62: 852–8.
10. National Oral Health Survey and Flouride Mapping: Dental Council of India. New Delhi: Dental Council of India; 2004. p. 13.
11. Kaur S, Khurana P, Kaur H. A survey on acquaintance, orientation and behavior of general medical practitioners toward periodontal diseases. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2015; 19: 322-6.
12. Lin H, Zhang H, Yan Y, Liu D, Zhang R, Liu Y, et al. Knowledge, awareness, and behaviors of endocrinologists and dentists for the relationship between diabetes and periodontitis. Diabetes Res ClinPract 2014; 106:428–34.
13. Kashefimehr A, Faramarzi M, Shirmohammadi A, Zarandi A, Ilkhani S. Awareness regarding the effects of periodontal diseases on coronary heart system among cardiologists in Tabriz, Iran. J Periodontol Implant Dent 2014; 6: 23–7.
14. Al Habashneh R, Barghout N, Humbert L, Khader Y, Alwaeli H. Diabetes and oral health: Doctors’ knowledge, perception and practices. J EvalClinPract 2010; 16: 976-80.