The Comparison of the effect of two different doses of methylprednisolone on pain, swelling and trismus after 3rd molar surgery.
Comparison of the effect of two different doses of methylprednisolone on pain, swelling and trismus after 3rd molar surgery.
Objective The aim of this study was to compare the effects of intravenous administration of 1.5mg/kg and 3mg/kg of methylprednisolone sodium succinate on pain, swelling and trismus after third molar surgery.
Study Design. Twenty five healthy patients with bilaterally symmetrical impacted mandibular third molars were included in this study. Either 1.5mg/kg or 3mg/kg of methylprednisolone was administered by intravenous route 1 hour before the operation. At the second operation the other dose was applied. Facial swelling was evaluated by using cotton sutures. Trismus was determined by measuring maximum interincisal opening. Pain was determined by using visual analogue scale.
Results. There was no statistically significant difference in pain swelling and trismus between the two groups.
Conclusion. No significant benefit of higher dose of methylprednisolone administered.
2. Milles M. Desjardins PJ. Reduction of postoperative facial swelling by low-dose methylprednisolone. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 51:987;1993
3. Nordstrom REA, Nordstrom RM. The effect of corticosteroids on postoperative edema. Plast Reconstr Surg 80:85;1987
4. Esen E, Tasar F, Akhan O. Determination of the anti-inflammatory effects of methylprednisolone on the sequelae of third molar surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 57(10):1201;1999
5. Holland CS. The influence of methylprednisolone on postoperative swelling following oral surgery. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 25:293; 1987
6. Huffman GG. Use of methylprednisolone sodium succinate to reduce postoperative edema after removal of impacted third molars. J Oral Surg 35:198; 1977
7. Ten Bosch J.J & Van Gool, A. V. (1977). The interrelation of post-operative complaints after removal of the mandibular third molar. Int. J. Oral Surg 6: 22; 1977
8. Van Gool, A.V. Ten Bosch, J. H & Boering .G. (1977). Clinical consequencies of complaints and complications after removal of the mandibular third molar. Int. J. Oral Surg 6: 29; 1977
9. Julius LL, Hungerford RW, Nelson WJ et al: Prevention of dry socket with local application of Terra-Cortril in Gelfoam. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40: 285;1982
10. Skjelbred P. & Lokken P. Reduction of pain and swelling by a cortico-steroid injected 3 hours after surgery. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 23: 141; 1982
11. Bahn SL. Glucocorticoids in dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc 105: 476; 1982
12. Amin MM, Laskin DM. Prophylactic use of indomethacin for prevention of postsurgical complications after removal of impacted third molars. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 55: 448; 1983
13. Seymour RA, Blair GS, Wyatt FAR. Postoperative dental pain and analgesic efficacy Part 1. Br J Oral Surg 21:290;1983
14. Seymour RA, Blair GS, Wyatt FAR. Postoperative dental pain and analgesic efficacy Part II. Br J Oral Surg 21:298;1983
15. Schaberg SJ, Stuller CB, Edwards SM. Effect of methylprednisolone on swelling after orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac 42:356; 1984
16. Wilson IR, Crocker EF. An introduction to ultrasonography in oral surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 59:236;1985
17. Habal MB. Prevention of postoperative facial edema with steroids after facial surgery. Aesth Plast Surg 9:69; 1985
18. Mardirossian G, Cooper SA. Comparison of the analgesic efficacy of flurbiprofen and asprin for postsurgical dental pain. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:106; 1985
19. Osborn TP, Frederickson G, Small IA, Torgerson TS. A prospective study of complications related to mandibular third molar surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:767; 1985
20. Sisk AL, Bonnington GJ. Evaluation of methylprednisolone and flurbiprofen for inhibition of the postoperative inflammatory response. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 60: 137; 1985
21. El Hag M, Coghlan K, Christmas P. et al. The anti-inflammatory effects of dexamethasone and therapeutic ultrasound in oral surgery. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 23: 17; 1985
22. Beirne OR, Hollander B. The effect of methylprednisolone on pain, trismus and swelling after removal of third molars. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 61:134; 1986
23. Sisk AL, Hammer WB, Shelton DW, Joy ED. Complications following removal of impacted third molars: the role of the experience of the surgeon. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:855; 1986
24. Hargreaves KM, Schmidt E, Mueller G, Dionne R. Dexamethasone alters plasma levels of beta-endorphin and postoperative pain. Clin Pharmacol Ther 42: 601; 1987
25. Zarem H.A, Hayden B, Soderberg R et al. Effect of corticosteroid administration in ischemia-ischemic injury. Plast. Reconstr. Surg 82: 865; 1988
26. Gammer W, Bengtson A, Heideman M. Inhibition of complement activation by high-dose corticosteroids in total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 236:205; 1988
27. Frame JW, Evans CRH, Flaum GR, et al. A comparison of ibuprofen and dihydrocodeine in relieving pain following wisdom teeth removal 166:121; 1989
28. Kugelberg C.F. Periodontal healing two and four years after impacted lower third molar surgery. Int. J. Oral Maxillofac Surg 19:341; 1990
29. Montgomery MT, Hoggs JP, Robers DL, Redding SW. The use of glucocorticosteroids to lessen the inflammatory sequelae following third molar surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 48:179; 1990
30. Giglio JA, Laskin DM. Double-blind comparison of meclofenamate sodium plus codeine, meclofenamate sodium, codeine and placebo for relief of pain following surgical removal of third molars. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 48:785; 1990
31. Troullos ES, Hargreaves KM, Butler DP, Dionne RA. Comparison of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ibuprofen and flurbiprofen with methylprednisolone and placebo for acute pain, swelling and trismus. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 48:945; 1990
32. Hargreaves KM, Costello A. Glucocorticoids suppress release of immunoreactive bradykinin in inflamed tissue as evaluated by microdialysis probes. Clin Pharmacol Ther 48:168; 1990
33. Schmidt JH, Caffee HH. The efficacy of methylprednisolone in reducing flap edema. Plast Reconstr Surg 86:1148; 1990
34. Hyrkas T, Ylipaavalniemi P, Oikarinen VJ, et al. Postoperative pain prevention by a single dose formulation of diclofenac producing a steady plasma concentration. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 50: 124; 1992
35. Gersema L, Baker K. Use of corticosteroids in oral surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 50:270; 1992
36. Neupert EA 3d, Lee JW, Philput CB, Gordon JR. Evaluation of dexamethasone for reduction of postsurgical sequelae of third molar removal. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 50:1177; 1992
37. Hyrkas T, Ylipaavalniemi P, Oikarinen VJ, Paakkari I. A comparison of diclofenac with and without single-dose intravenous steroid to prevent postoperative pain after third molar removal. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 51:634; 1993
38. Butler RCD, Vorono AA, Finstuen K. Dosage effects of pulsed steroid therapy on serum cortisol levels in oral and maxillofacial surgery patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 51:750; 1993
39. Capuzzi P, Montebugnoli L, Vaccaro MA. Extraction of impacted third molars: a longitudinal prospective study on factors that affect postoperative recovery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 77:341; 1994
40. Hargreaves KM, Swift JQ, Roszkowski MT, et al. Pharmacology of peripheral neuropeptide and inflammatory mediator release. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 78:503; 1994
41. Schultze-Mosgau S, Schmelseizen R, Frolich JC, Schmele. Use of ibuprofen and methylprednisolone for the prevention of pain and swelling after removal of impacted third molars. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 53:2; 1995
42. Bigler D, Jonsson T, Olsen J, Brenoe J, Sander-Jensen K. The effect of preoperative methylprednisolone on pulmonary function and pain after lung operations. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 112:142; 1996
43. Schulze S, Andersen J, Overgaard H, et al. Effect of prednisolone on the systemic response and wound healing after colonic surgery. Arch Surg 132:129; 1997
44. Alexander RE, Throndson RR. A review of perioperative corticosteroid use in dentoalveolar surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 90:406; 2000
45. Goodman and Gillman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 10th Edition, McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing division, pp. 1661.
46. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology by K. D Tripathi 6th Edition, 2008. Published by Jaypee Brothers, pp. 280