Silver Diamine Fluoride- The New Black Magic
Silver diamine fluoride combines the remineralizing effects of fluoride and the antibacterial effects of silver and thus provides an alternative care path for those patients in whom traditional restorative treatment cannot be done. Many countries have recommended the use of 38% SDF for caries prevention as well as for caries arrest. SDF is proved to be more efficient as caries preventive tool when compared to fluoride varnishes and APF Gel. Other dental benefits of SDF continue to be researched and discussed in the literature. However, SDF- related black staining is of prime concern while using it in aesthetic zone. No serious adverse effects of using SDF have been reported in dentistry. SDF is safe, effective, and cost-friendly agent. We can hope that it can meet both the AAPD and ISPPD vision and mission to advance optimal oral health for all children through prevention, involvement of the society and other necessary measures.
2. Petersen PE. Challenges to improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Int Dent J 2004;54:329-43.
3. Rosenblatt A, Stamford TC, Niederman R. Silver diamine fluoride: A caries “silver-fluoride bullet”. J Dent Res 2009;88:116-25.
4. Crystal YO, Marghalani AA, Ureles SD, Wright JT, Sulyanto R, Divaris K, Fontana M, Graham L. Use of silver diamine fluoride for dental caries management in children and adolescents, including those with special health care needs. Pediatr Dent 2017;39:E135-E145.
5. US Food and Drug Administration. Diammine Silver Fluoride Dental Hypersensitivity Varnish [510(k) premarket notification]. 2017.
6. American Dental Association. CDT 2017 Dental Procedures Codes. Chicago: American Dental Association Publishing; 2017.
7. Shah S, Bhaskar V, Venkatraghavan K, Choudhary P, Trivedi K. Silver diamine fluoride: a review and current applications. JAdv Oral Res 2014;5:25-35.
8. Seifo N, Robertson M, MacLean J, Blain K, Grosse S, Milne R, Seeballuck C, Innes N. The use of silver diamine fluoride (SDF) in dental practice. Br Dent J 2020;228:75–81.
9. Wakshlak RB, Pedahzur R, Avnir D. Antibacterial activity of silver-killed bacteria: the "zombies" effect. Sci Rep 2015;5:9555-9.
10. Crystal YO, Niederman R. Evidence-Based Dentistry Update on Silver Diamine Fluoride. Dent Clin North Am 2019;63:45-68.
11. Llodra JC, Rodriguez A, Ferrer B, Menardia V, Ramos T, Morato M. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for caries reduction in primary teeth and first permanent molars of schoolchildren: 36- month clinical trial. J Dent Res 2005;84:721-4.
12. Horst JA, Ellenikiotis H, Milgrom PL. UCSF Protocol for Caries Arrest Using Silver Diamine Fluoride: Rationale, Indications and Consent. JCalif Dent Assoc 2016;44:16-28.
13. Al-Halabi M, Salami A, Alnuaimi E, Kowash M, Hussein I. Assessment of paediatric dental guidelines and caries management alternatives in the post COVID-19 period. Acritical review and clinical recommendations. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2020;1-14.
14. Chu CH, Lo ECM, Lin HC. Effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride and sodium fluoride varnish in arresting dentin caries in Chinese pre-school children. J Dent Res 2002;81:767–70.
15. Liu BY, Lo EC, Chu CH, et al. Randomized trial on fluorides and sealants for fissure caries prevention. J Dent Res 2012;91:753–8.
16. Monse B, Heinrich- Weltzien R, Mulder J, Holmgren C, van Palenstein Helderman WH. Caries preventive efficacy of silver diammine fluoride (SDF) and ART sealants in a school- based daily fluoride tooth brushing program in the Philippines. BMC Oral Health 2012;12:52-60.
`17. Oliveira BRA, Veitz-Keenan A, Niederman R. The effect of silver diamine fluoride in preventing caries in the primary dentition: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Caries Res 2018;53:24– 32.
18. Contreras V, Toro MJ, Elías-Boneta AR, Encarnación-Burgos A. Effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride in caries prevention and arrest: a systematic literature review. Gen Dent 2017;65:22-9.
19. Braga MM, Mendes FM, De Benedetto MS, Imparato JC. Effect of silver diammine fluoride on incipient caries lesions in erupting permanent first molars: A pilot study. J Dent Child (Chic) 2009;76:28-33.
20. Fung MH, Duangthip D, Wong MC, Lo EC, Chu CH. Arresting dentine caries with different concentration and periodicity of silver diamine fluoride. JDR Clin Trans Res 2016;1:143-52.
21. Zhi QH, Lo EC, Lin HC. Randomized clinical trial on effectiveness of silver diamine fluorideand glass ionomer in arresting dentine caries in preschool children. J Dent 2012;40:962-7.
22. Dos Santos VE Jr, de Vasconcelos FM, Ribeiro AG, Rosenblatt A. Paradigm shift in the effective treatment of caries in schoolchildren at risk. Int Dent J 2012;62:47-51.
23. Yee R, Holmgren C, Mulder J, Lama D, Walker D, van Palenstein Helderman W. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for Arresting Caries Treatment. J Dent Res 2009;88:644-7.
24. Chairside Guide: Silver Diamine Fluoride in the Management of Dental Caries Lesions. Pediatr Dent 2018;40(6):492-517.
25. Sinha N, Gupta A, Logani A, Shah N. Remineralizing efficacy of silver diamine fluoride and glass ionomer type VII for their proposed use as indirect pulp capping materials – Part II (A clinical study). J Conserv Dent 2011;14:233-6.
26. Castillo JL, Rivera S, Aparicio T, et al. The short-term effects of diamine silver fluoride on
tooth sensitivity: a randomized controlled trial. J Dent Res 2011;90:203–8.
27. Mei ML, Nudelman F, Marzec B, et al. Formation of fluorohydroxyapatite with silver diamine fluoride. J Dent Res 2017;96:1122–8.
28. Crystal YO, Janal MN, Hamilton DS, et al. Parental perceptions and acceptance of Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) staining. JAm Dent Assoc 2017;148:510–8.
29. Phantumvanit P, Makino Y, Ogawa H, et al. WHO global consultation on public health intervention against early childhood caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2018;46:280–7.
30. Alvear Fa B, Jew JA, Wong A, Young D. Silver Modified Atraumatic Restorative Technique (SMART): an alternative caries prevention tool. Stoma Edu J 2016;3:18-24.
31. Puwanawiroj A, Trairatvorakul C, Dasanayake AP, Auychai P. Microtensile Bond Strength Between Glass Ionomer Cement and Silver Diamine Fluoride-Treated Carious Primary Dentin. Pediatr Dent 2018;40:291-5.
32. Quock RL, Barros JA, Yang SW, Patel SA. Effect of silver diamine fuoride on microtensile bond strength to dentin. Oper Dent 2012;37:610–6.
33. Camacho KJ, English JD, Jacob HB, Harris LM, Kasper FK, Bussa HI et al. Silver diamine fluoride and bond strength to enamel in vitro: Apilot study. Am JDent 2018;31:317–9.
34. Vinh N, Cody N, Joel F, Carolyn P. Potassium Iodide. The Solution to Silver Diamine Fluoride Discoloration?. Adv Dent Oral Health 2017;5:555655-61.
35. Garg S, Sadr A, Chan D. Potassium Iodide Reversal of Silver Diamine Fluoride Staining: A Case Report. Oper Dent 2019;44:221-6.
36. Zhao IS, Mei ML, Burrow MF, Lo EC, Chu CH. Effect of Silver Diamine Fluoride and Potassium Iodide Treatment of Secondary Caries Prevention and Tooth Discolouration in Cervical Glass Ionomer Cement Restoration. Int J Mol Sci 2017;18:340-50.
37. Wang AS, Botelho MG, Tsoi JK, Matinlinna JP. Effects of silver diammine fuoride on microtensile bond strength of GIC to dentine. Int JAdhes Adhes 2016;70:196–203.
38. Knight GM, McIntyre JM. The effect of silver fluoride and potassium iodide on the bond strength of auto cure glass ionomer cement to dentine. Aust Dent J 2006;51:42–5.
39. Gupta J, Thomas MS, Radhakrishna M, Srikant N, Ginjupalli K. Effect of silver diamine fluoride-potassium iodide and 2% chlorhexidine gluconate cavity cleansers on the bond strength and microleakage of resin-modified glass ionomer cement. J Conserv Dent 2019;22:201-6.
40. Greenwall-Cohen J, Francois P, Dursen E, Le-Geoff S, Pierre-Attal J, Greenwall LH. The infuence of silver diamine fuoride adhesive protocols on shear bond strength of high-viscosity glass ionomer cement to dentine. Abstract number 2357. ConsEuro, Berlin. 2019
41. Selvaraj K, Sampath V, Sujatha V, Mahalaxmi S. Evaluation of microshear bond strength and nanoleakage of etch-and-rinse and self-etch adhesives to dentin pretreated with silver diamine fluoride/potassium iodide: An in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res 2016;27:421-5.
42. Kim T, Patel K, Comisi J. Effect of SDF and SDF/KI Treatment on Microtensile Bond Strength of Bioactive Materials. AJBSR 2019;6:294-8.
43. Sayed M, Matsui N, Hiraishi N, Nikaido T, Burrow MF, Tagami J. Effect of Glutathione Bio- Molecule on Tooth Discoloration Associated with Silver Diammine Fluoride. Int J Mol Sci.2018;19:1322-33.
44. Mei ML, Ito L, Zhang CF, Lo EC, Chu CH. Effect of laser irradiation on the fluoride uptake of silver diamine fluoride treated dentine. Lasers Med Sci 2015;30:985-91.
45. Luk K, Zhao IS, Yu OY, Mei ML, Gutknecht N, Chu CH. Caries Prevention Effects of Silver Diamine Fluoride with 10,600 nm Carbon Dioxide Laser Irradiation on Dentin. Photobiomodul Photomed Laser Surg 2020;38:295-300.
46. Bahrololoomi Z, Fotuhi Ardakani F, Sorouri M. In vitro comparison of the effects of diode laser and CO2 laser on the low potency topical fluoride uptake in primary teeth. J Dent 2015;12:585-91.
47. Burns J, Hollands K. Nano Silver Fluoride for preventing caries. Evid Based Dent 2015;16:8- 9.
48. Nanda K J, Naik S. An In-Vitro Comparative Evaluation of Pre-treatment With Nano-Silver Fluoride on Inhibiting Secondary Caries at Tooth Restoration Interface. Cureus 2020;12:7934- 44.
49. Darwita RR, Finisha AR, Wahyuni HN, Ghin, S, Muhammad R, Satyanegara A, Setiawati F, Adiatman M. The effectiveness of propolis fluoride application in inhibiting dental caries activity in school children age 6-9 years old. Int JApp Pharm 2018;9:1-5.
50. AIP Conference Proceedings 1933, 030021 (2018); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5023968
Published Online: 13 February 2018.
51. Tirupathi S, Svsg N, Rajasekhar S, Nuvvula S. Comparative cariostatic efficacy of a novel Nano-silver fluoride varnish with 38% silver diamine fluoride varnish a double-blind randomized clinical trial. JClin Exp Dent 2019;11:105-12.