Silver Diamine Fluoride - The New Normal in Pediatric Oral Care : A Review
Silver Diamine Fluoride In Pediatric Oral Care
Dental caries is the most commonly observed oral lesion and can affect function and esthetics of teeth in children, cause pain and severe lesions, malnutrition, psychological effects, if left untreated ultimately affecting their oral-health related quality of life. There are various treatment and preventive approaches but certain factors make it difficult to achieve the required outcome like behavior issues, socio-economic status, etc. Minimal intervention or invasive dentistry is gaining popularity, especially during and post-COVID era; it becomes the need of the hour. Silver Diamine Fluoride is one such caries management strategy that has started becoming popular for its various beneficial properties against caries both in normal and children with special health care needs, cost-effectiveness, easy application, and no intervention methodology.
This article aims to bring forward detailed information about Silver Diamine Fluoride which is a promising caries management technique during and post-COVID era.
2. Zhao IS, Gao SS, Hiraishi N, Burrow MF, Duangthip D, Mei ML et al (2018) Mechanisms of silver diamine fluoride on arresting caries: a literature review. Int Dent J 68:67–76
3. Crystal YO, Niederman R. Silver diamine fluoride treatment considerations in children's caries management. Pediatr Dent 2016;38:466-71
4. Niederman R, Feres M, Ogunbodede E. Dentistry. In: Debas HT, Donkor P, Gawande A, Jamison DT, Kruk ME, Mock CN, editors. Essential Surgery: Disease Control Priorities. The 2015 International Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Washington (DC): The World Bank; 2015. p. 173-95.
5. Nuvvula S, Mallineni SK. Silver Diamine Fluoride in Pediatric Dentistry. J South Asian Assoc Pediatr Dent 2019;2(2):73–80.
6. Rosenblatt A, Stamford TC, Niederman R. Silver diamine fluoride: A caries “silver-fluoride bullet”. J Dent Res 2009;88:116-25.
7. Mei ML, Lo EC, Chu CH. Clinical Use of Silver Diamine Fluoride in Dental Treatment. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2016 Feb;37(2):93-8; quiz100. Review. PubMed PMID: 26905088
8. Zhi QH, Lo EC, Lin HC. Randomized clinical trial on effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride and glass ionomer in arresting dentine caries in preschool children. J Dent 2012;40:962-7.
9. Yee R, Holmgren C, Mulder J, Lama D, Walker D, van Palenstein Helderman W, et al. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for arresting caries treatment. J Dent Res 2009;88:644-7.
10. Russell AD, Hugo WB. Antimicrobial activity and action of silver. Prog Med Chem 1994;31:351–370.
11. Nishino M, Yoshida S, Sobue S, et al. Effect of topically applied ammoniacal silver fluoride on dental caries in children. J Osaka Univ Dent Sch 1969;9:149–155.
12. Yamaga R, Nishino M, Yoshida S, et al. Diammine silver fluoride and its clinical application. J Osaka Univ Dent Sch 1972;12:1–20.
13. Wakshlak RB-K, Pedahzur R, Avnir D. Antibacterial activity of silver-killed bacteria: the “zombies” effect. Sci Rep. 2015;5(1):9555
14. Jung WK, Koo HC, Kim KW, Shin S, Kim SH, Park YH. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of action of the silver ion in Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74(7):2171–8.
15. Mei ML, Lo EC, Chu CH. Clinical use of silver diamine fluoride in dental treatment. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2016;37(2):93–98.
16. eSDF-38% silver diamine fluoride. URL: http://kids-e-dental.com/Products/SDF.
17. Bedi R, Sardo-Infirri J (1999). Oral health care in disadvantaged communities. London: FDI World Dental Press.
18. Mei ML, Li QL, Chu CH, Lo EC, Samaranayake LP. Antibacterial effects of silver diamine fluoride on multi-species cariogenic biofilm on caries. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 2013;12:4.
19. Mei ML, Li QL, Chu CH, Yiu CK, Lo EC. The inhibitory effects of silver diamine fluoride at different concentrations on matrix metalloproteinases. Dent Mater 2012;28:903-8
20. Chaussain-Miller C, Fioretti F, Goldberg M, Menashi S. The role of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in human caries. J Dent Res 2006;85:22-32
21. Suzuki T, Sobue S, Suginaka H. Mechanism of antiplaque action of diamine silver fluoride. J Osaka Univ Dent Sch 1976;16:87-95
22. Suzuki T, Nishida M, Sobue S, Moriwaki Y. Effects of diammine silver fluoride on tooth enamel. J Osaka Univ Dent Sch 1974;14:61-72
23. Yokoyama K, Matsumoto K, Murase J. Permeability of the root canal wall and occlusion of dentinal tubules by ag(NH3) 2F: A comparison of combined use with pulsed nd: YAG laser or iontophoresis. J Clin Laser Med Surg 2000;18:9-14
24. Duangthip D, Wong MCM, Chu CH, et al. Caries arrest by topical fluorides in preschool children: 30-month results. J Dent 2018;70:74–79. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2017.12.013.
25. Fung MHT, Duangthip D, Wong MCM, et al. Randomized clinical trial of 12% and 38% silver diamine fluoride treatment. J Dent Res 2 018 ; 97(2):171–178 . D O I : 10 .117 7/0 02 2 03 4517 7 2 8 49 6 .
26. Sinha N, Gupta A, Logani A, Shah N. Remineralizing efficacy of silver diamine fluoride and glass ionomer type VII for their proposed use as indirect pulp capping materials – Part II (A clinical study). J Conserv Dent 2011;14:233-6
27. Llodra JC, Rodriguez A, Ferrer B, Menardia V, Ramos T, Morato M, et al. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for caries reduction in primary teeth and first permanent molars of schoolchildren: 36-month clinical trial. J Dent Res 2005;84:721-4.
28. Tan HP, Lo EC, Dyson JE, Luo Y, Corbet EF. A randomized trial on root caries prevention in elders. J Dent Res 2010;89:1086-90
29. Llodra JC, Rodriguez A, Ferrer B, et al. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for caries reduction in primary teeth and first permanent molars of schoolchildren: 36-month clinical trial. J Dent Res 2005;84(8):721–724. DOI: 10.1177/154405910508400807.
30. Okamoto E, Kutsuna H, Nakamura Y. Effect of diammine silver fluoride on treatment of infected root canal Part 1. On the number of treatments required far root canal filling. Nippon Dent Rev 1971;343:625-6.
31. Hiraishi, N., Yiu, C. K., King, N. M., Tagami, J., & Tay, F. R. (2010, June). Antimicrobial Efficacy of 3.8% Silver Diamine Fluoride and Its Effect on Root Dentin. Journal of Endodontics,36(6), 1026-1029. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2010.02.029
32. Korwar, A., Sharma, S., Logani, A., & Shah, N. (2015, July 31). Pulp response to high fluoride releasing glass ionomer, silver diamine fluoride, and calcium hydroxide used for indirect pulp treatment: An invivo comparative study. 6(3), 288-292. Retrieved September 15, 2016, from http://www.contempclindent.org/article.asp?issn=0976-237X;year=2015;volume=6;issue=3;spage=288;epage=292;aulast=Korwa
33. Crystal YO, Marghalani AA, Ureles SD, et al. Use of silver diamine fluoride for dental caries management in children and adolescents, including those with special health care needs. Pediatr Dent 2017;39(5):E135-E145.
34. Horst JA, Ellenikiotis H, Milgrom PL. UCSF protocol for caries arrest using silver diamine fluoride: Rationale, indi-cations and consent. J Calif Dent Assoc 2016;44(1): 16-28.
35. Yee R, Holmgren C, Mulder J, Lama D, Walker D, van Palenstein Helderman W. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for Arresting Caries Treatment. J Dent Res 2009;88(7): 644-7.
36. MacLean J. Clinical uses for silver diamine fluoride – oral health group. Available on URL: https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/clinical-uses-for-silver-diamine-fluoride/, last accessed on 28th July 2019 at 11.00 am IST.
37. Alvear Fa B, Jew JA, Wong A, Young D. Silver Modified Atraumatic Restorative Technique (SMART): an alternative caries prevention tool. StomaEduJ. 2016;3(2)
38. Juan F. Yepes.Silver Modified Interim Therapeutic Restoration. Inside Dentistry.November 2020 Volume 16, Issue 11
39. Braga MM, Mendes FM, De Benedetto MS, Imparato JC. Effect of silver diammine fluoride on incipient caries lesions in erupting permanent first molars: A pilot study. J Dent Child (Chic) 2009;76:28-33.
40. Liu BY, Lo EC, Chu CH, Lin HC. Randomized trial on fluorides and sealants for fissure caries prevention. J Dent Res. 2012;91(8):753-758. doi:10.1177/0022034512452278
41. Monse B, Heinrich-Weltzien R, Mulder J, Holmgren C, van Palenstein Helderman WH. Caries preventive efficacy of silver diammine fluoride (SDF) and ART sealants in a school-based daily fluoride tooth brushing program in the Philippines. BMC Oral Health 2012;12:52.
42. Dos Santos VE Jr, de Vasconcelos FM, Ribeiro AG, Rosenblatt A. Paradigm shift in the effective treatment of caries in schoolchildren at risk. Int Dent J 2012 Feb;62(1):47-51.
43. Duangthip D, Chu CH, Lo EC. A randomized clinical trial on arresting dentine caries in preschool children by topical fluorides-18 month results. J Dent 2016;44:57-63
44. Fung MH, Duangthip D, Wong MC, Lo EC, Chu CH. Arresting dentine caries with different concentration and periodicity of silver diamine fluoride. JDR Clin Trans Res 2016;1:143-52.
45. Galui S, Pal S, Pabale SL, Saha S, Sarkar S. Stretching new boundaries of caries prevention with silver diamine fluoride: A review of literature. Int J Pedod Rehabil 2018;3:1-4
46. Horst JA, Ellenikiotis H, Milgrom PL. UCSF protocol for caries arrest using silver diamine fluoride: Rationale, indications and consent. J Calif Dent Assoc 2016;44:16-28.