Accelerated Orthodontic Tooth Movement: A Review
Accelerated orthodontic tooth movement is considered as one of the main concept in orthodontics for research. The duration of orthodontic treatment remains the primary concern for most of the patients. Increased treatment time leads to avoidance of orthodontic treatment. In the era of technology, many advances are made and newer techniques for accelerating orthodontic treatment have been introduced in order to reduce the length of treatment with minimal risk of side effects. The purpose of this article is to describe various methods used to accelerate the tooth movement orthodontically. The clinician should understand the biological rationale and potential effects of accelerating orthodontic tooth movement.
2. Rossi N J, Rossi RC, Rossi NJC. Procedures to accelerate orthodontic treatment: Review of techniques and biological bases. Int J Dent Res 2019; 4(1): 30-37.
3. Patil A, Jayade VP. Advances in biology of orthodontic tooth movement – A Review. J Ind Orthod Soc 2006;39:155-164.
4. Beckwith FA, Ackerman RJ, Cobb CM, Tira DE. An evaluation of factors affecting duration of orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthod 1999;115:439-47.
5. Kole H. Surgical operations on the alveolar ridge to correct occlusal abnormalities. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1959;12:515-29.
6. Frost HM. The regional acceleratory phenomenon: A Review. Henry Ford Hospital Medical Journal 1983;31(1):3.
7. Huang H, Williams RC, Kyrkanides S. Accelerated orthodontic tooth movement: Molecular mechanisms: Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2014;146:620-32.
8. Lino S, Sakoda S, Ito G, Nishimori T, Ikeda T, Miyawaki S. Acceleration of orthodontic tooth movement by alveolar corticotomy in the dog. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;131:448.e1-8.
9. Sharma K, Batra P, Sonar S, Srivastava A, Raghavan S. Periodontically accelerated orthodontic tooth movement: A narrative review: J Indian Soc Periodontol 2019;23:5-11.
10. Wilcko MT, Wilcko WM, Bissada NF. An evidence-based analysis of periodontally accelerated orthodontic and osteogenic techniques: A synthesis of scientific perspectives. Semin Orthod 2008;14:305-16.
11. Vercellotti T, Podesta A. Orthodontic microsurgery: A new surgically guided technique for dental movement. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2007;27:325-331.
12. Alikhani M, Alansari S, Sangsuwon C, Alikhani M, Chou MY, Alyami B, Nervina JM, Te. Micro-osteoperforations: Minimally Invasive Accelerated tooth movement. Semin Orthod 2015;21(3):162-169.
13. Nicozisis J. Accelerated Orthodontics with Alveocentesis. Princeton Orthodontics. Clin Orthod 2012;19:1-4.
14. Liou EJ, Huang CS. Rapid canine retraction through distraction of the periodontal ligament. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998;114(4):372-382.
15. Kim SJ, Park YG, Kang SG. Effects of corticision on paradental remodelling in orthodontic tooth movement. Angle Orthod 2009;79:284-291.
16. Liou EJ, Chen PH, Wang YC, Yu CC, Huang CS, Chen YR. Surgery first approach in surgical orthodontic treatment of mandibular prognathism- A case report. Chang Med J 2010;33:699-705.
17. Doshi-Mehta G, Bhad-Patil WA. Efficacy of low intensity laser therapy in reducing treatment time and orthodontic pain: A clinical investigation. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2012;141:289-97.
18. Davidovitch Z, Finkelson MD, Steigman S, Shanfeld JL, Montgomery PC, Korostoff E. Electric currents, bone remodeling, and orthodontic tooth movement. I. The effect of electric currents on periodontal cyclic nucleotides. Am J Orthod. 1980;77(1):14-32.
19. Agrawal A, Dwivedi P, Chaturvedi TP, Mittal N. Effect of electrical stimulation on orthodontic tooth movement: A systematic review. IJO 2019;30(3):62-71.
20. Darendeliler MA, Sinclair PM, Kusy RP. The effects of samarium-cobalt magnets and pulsed electromagnetic fields on tooth movement. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop1995;107:578-88.
21. Showkatbakhsh R, Jamilian A, Showkatbakhsh M. The effect of pulsed electromagnetic fields on the acceleration of tooth movement. World J Orthod 2010;11(4):e52-56.
22. Kau CH, Kantarci A, Shaughnessy T, Vachiramon A, Santiwong P, Fuente A et al. Photobiostimulation accelerates orthodontic alignment in the early phase of treatment. Prog Orthod 2013;14:30.
23. Ekizer A, Tȕrker G, Uysal T, Gȕray E, Tașdemir Z. Light emitting diode mediated photobiomodulation therapy improves orthodontic tooth movement and miniscrew stability: A randomised controlled clinical trial. Lasers Surg Med 2016;48(10):936-943.
24. Shaughnessy T, Kantarci A, Kaun CH, Skrenes D, Skrenes S, Ma D. Intraoral photobiomodulation- induced orthodontic tooth alignment: A preliminary study. BMC Oral health 2016;16:3
25. Chung SE, Tompson B, Gong S. The effect of light emitting diode phototherapy on rate of orthodontic tooth movement: A split mouth, controlled clinical trial. J Orthod 2015;00:1-10.
26. Proffit WR, Fields HW, Larson BE, Sarver DM. The biologic basis of orthodontic therapy. In: Contemporary Orthodontics. 6th ed. Elsevier. Mosby. p.265-64.
27. El-Bialy T, Farouk K, Carlyle TD, Witshire W, Drummond R, Dumore T et al. Effect of Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound (LIPUS) on tooth movement and root resorption: A prospective multi-center randomized controlled trial. J Clin Med 2020;9(3):804.
28. Patil AK, Keluskar KM, Gaitonde SD. Clinical application of Prostaglandin E1 in orthodontic patients. J Ind Orthod Soc 2005;38:91-98.
29. Collins MK, Sinclair PM. The local use of Vitamin D to increase the rate of orthodontic tooth movement. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop1988;94:278-84.
30. Soma S, Iwamoto M, Higuchi Y, Kurisu K. Effects of continuous infusion of PTH on experimental tooth movement in rats. J Bone Miner Res 1999;14:546-54.