Desmoplastic Ameloblastoma- a Case Report
Abstract: Desmoplastic ameloblastoma is defined as locally invasive, intraosseous and a rare variant of ameloblastoma which show slight male predilection with prevalence within the fourth and fifth decades. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma (DA) is characterized by specific clinical, imaging, and histological features. We report a case of Desmoplastic ameloblastoma in a 28-year-old male with a painless swelling in the right anterior maxillary region. DA has greater predilection for maxilla with marked tendency for anterior region as compare to other variant of ameloblastoma which creates particular issues like expansion of lesion into maxillary sinus, high recurrence rate and proximity to important anatomical structures demands extra caution in the approach during treatment planning
2. Chrcanovic BR, Gomes CC, Gomez RS. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma: a systematic review of the cases reported in the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 Jun;49(6):709-716.
3. Koh KJ, Park HN, Kim KA. Desmoplastic variant of ameloblastoma of the maxilla: A case report. Imaging Sci Dent. 2015;45(4):241-245. doi:10.5624/isd.2015.45.4.241
4. Sun ZJ, Wu YR, Cheng N, Zwahlen RA, Zhao YF. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma - A review. Oral Oncol. 2009 Sep;45(9):752-9.
5. A histopathologic study of 116 ameloblastomas with special reference to the desmoplastic variant. Waldron CA, El-Mofty SK Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1987;63:441-51.
6. Effiom OA, Ogundana OM, Akinshipo AO, Akintoye SO. Ameloblastoma: current etiopathological concepts and management. Oral Dis. 2018 Apr;24(3):307-316.
7. Sheikh S, Pallagatti S, Singla I, Kalucha A. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma: a case report. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2011 Winter;5(1):27-32.
8. Desmoplastic ameloblastoma (including "hybrid" lesion of ameloblastoma). Biological profile based on 100 cases from the literature and own files.Philipsen HP, Reichart PA, Takata TOral Oncol. 2001 Jul.
9. Rais, R., El-Mofty, S.K. Malignant Transformation of a Desmoplastic Ameloblastoma to Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Case Report. Head and Neck Pathol 13, 705–710 (2019).