Biomechanical preparation in primary endodontics- A comprehensive review
A major objective of modern dentistry for children is to maintain the integrity of the primary dentition until normal exfoliation, for the purpose of promoting function, esthetics and phonetics. Endodontic treatment in primary teeth can be challenging and time consuming, especially during canal preparations, which is considered one of the most important steps in root canal therapy. In recent years, new materials, equipments and instruments have evolved to a great extend and simplified the endodontic treatment procedures for the clinicians. Hence, we aim to provide review on some of the important aspects of the biomechanical preparation of the teeth.
2. Yang GB, Zhou XD, Zheng YL, Zhang H, Shu Y, Wu HK. Shaping ability of progressive versus constant taper instruments in curved root canals of extracted teeth. International Endodontic Journal 2007; 40: 707–714.
3. Schilder H. Cleaning and shaping the root canal. Dental Clinic of North America 1974;18: 269–296.
4. Iqbal MK, Maggiore F, Suh B, Edwards KR, Kang J, Kim S, et al. Comparison of apical transportation in four Ni-Ti rotary instrumentation techniques. Journal of Endodontic 2003; 29: 587–591.
5. Camara AC, Aguiar CM, Figueiredo JAP. Assessment of the deviation after biomechanical preparation of the coronal, middle and apical thirds of root canals instrumented with three Hero Rotary Systems. Journal of Endodontic 2007; 33:1460–1463.
6. Schafer E, Erler M, Dammaschke T. Comparative study on the shaping ability and cleaning efficiency of rotary two instruments. Part 1. Shaping ability in simulated curved canals. International Endodontic Journal 2006; 39:196–202.
7. AGUIAR CM, MENDES DA, CAMARA AC, FIGUEIRED JAP. Assessment of canal walls after biomechanical preparation of root canals instrumented with Protaper Universal rotary system. Journal of Applied Oral Science 2009;17(6): 590-595.
8. Sharma S, Rajkumar V, Sarin S, Sarin S, Chugh CS, Kaur H. Biomechanical preparation of teeth: A comprehensive review HECS International Journal of Community Health and Medical Research 2017; 3(3): 89-92.
9. Goerig AC, Camp JH. Root canal treatment in primary teeth: A review. Pediatric Dentistry 1983; 5: 33-7.
10. George S, Anandaraj S, Issac JS, John SA, Harris A. Rotary endodontics in primary teeth – A review. Saudi Dental Journal 2016; 28:12-7.
11. Walton RE, Torabinejad M. Principles and Practice of Endodontics. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; London: Saunders Company; 2002.
12. Hobson P. Pulp treatment of deciduous teeth & Factors affecting diagnosis and treatment. British Dental Journal 1970;128: 232-238.
13. Oguntebi BR. Dentine tubule infection and endodontic therapy implications. International Endodontic Journal 1994; 27: 218-22.
14. Cobankara FK, Adanr N, Belli S. Evaluation of the influence of smear layer on the apical and coronal sealing ability of two sealers. Journal of Endodontics 2004; 30: 06-409.
15. Glickman GN, Koch KA. 21st-Century Endodontics. Journal of America Dental Association 2000;131: 39-46.
16. Barr ES, Kleier DJ, Barr NV. Use of nickel-titanium rotary files for root canal preparation in primary teeth. Pediatric Dental Journal 2000; 22: 77-78.
17. Thakkar KT. “Advances in Rotary Endodontics in Pediatric Dentistry”. EC Dental Science 2019: 1320-1330.
18. Baker BCW, Parsons KC, Mills PR, Williams GL. Anatomy of root canals. IV deciduous teeth. Australia Dental Journal 1975; 20:101.
19. Hibbard ED. Morphology of the root canals of the primary molar teeth. Journal of Dental Child 1957; 24:250.
20. Ireland R.L. Secondary dentin formation in deciduous teeth. Journal of Dental Association 1941; 28:1626.
21. Zurcher E. The anatomy of the root canals of the teeth of the deciduous dentition and of the first permanent molars. New York: William Wood & Co., 1925.
22. Fuks AB, Kupietzky A, Guelmann M. Pulp Therapy for the Primary Dentition. Pediatric Dentistry (Sixth Edition), Infancy Through Adolescence 2019; 329-351.
23. Ahmed HM. Pulpectomy procedures in primary molar teeth. European Journal of General Dentist 2014; 3: 3-10.
24. Kaur R, Singh R, Sethi K, Garg S, Miglani S. Irrigating Solutions in Pediatric Dentistry: Literature Review and Update. Journal of Advance Medical and Dental Sciences 2014;2(2):104-115.
25. Lele, GS, Reddy, Subba VV. Comparison of antibacterial efficacy of intracanal medicaments in multiple visit pulpectomies in primary molars-an in vivo study. Journal of Indian Society and Pedododontic Preventive Dentistry 2010; 28(1):18-24.
26. Berson RB, Good DL. Pulpotomy and pulpectomy for primary teeth. Chapter In: Stewart Ray SE, editor. Paediatric Dentistry-Scientific Foundations and Clinical Practice. Ed. C.V. Mosby Company; 1982.