The Obesity nd Periodontal Disease
A REVIEW ARTICLE
Obesity is multifactorial disease affecting developing and developed countries worldwide. It is systemic condition associated with several diseases with increased rate of morbidity and mortality. It is major public health problem with various comorbidities affecting general as well as oral health. Periodontitis is an inflammatory condition resulting in destruction of supporting structures of teeth, connective tissue, periodontal ligament and alveolar bone resorption. There is possible correlation of obesity and periodontal disease. This article aim to review about the relationship about periodontitis and obesity and recommend some possible measures to detect cases at an early stage .
2. Perlstein MI, Bissada NF. Influence of obesity and hypertension on the severity of periodontitis in rats. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol 1977;43(5):707-19.
3. Saito T, Shimazaki Y, Sakamoto M. Obesity and periodontitis. New Engl J Med 2000,339(7):482-3.
4. Mohammad Shoyab Khan, Mohammed Alasqah . Obesity and periodontal disease: A review. J Family Med Prim Care 2020 ,9:2650-3.
5. Pihlstrom BL, Michalowicz BS, Johnson NW. Periodontal diseases. Lancet 2005 ,366:1809‑20.
6. Al‑Zahrani MS, Bissada NF, Borawskit EA . Obesity and periodontal disease in young, middle‑aged, and older adults. J Periodontol 2003;74:610‑5.
7. Reiko Furugen, Hideaki Hayashida, Masayasu Kitamura, Toshiyuki Saito; Relationship between adipokines and periodontitis. Japanese Association for Dental Science 2010; 46, 159—164
8. Pischon N, Heng N, Bernimoulin JP, Kleber BM, Willich SN, Pischon T. Obesity, inflammation, and periodontal disease. J Dent Res 2007;86,400—9.
9. Jiabao S BA, Leena P , Kristin W . A Review of the Relationship between Obesity and Periodontal Diseases. Biomed J Sci & Tech 2017 Res 1(3).
10. R. Vijayalakshmi, Thamaraiselvan, Jaideep Mahendra, Sruthi Srinivasan, Burnice Nalina Kumari;Obesity and periodontal disease – An overview. IP International Journal of Periodontology and Implantology, 2020;5(1):1-5.
11. Beck J, Garcia R, Heiss G, Vokonas P, Offenbacher S. Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease. J Periodontol 1996;67(10):1123-37
12. Saito T, Shimazaki Y, Sakamoto M. Obesity and periodontitis. New Engl J Med 1998;339(7):482-3.
13. Amrutiya MR and Deshpande N. Role of Obesity in Chronic Periodontal Disease - A Literature Review. J Dent & Oral Disord. 2016; 2(2): 1012.
14. Suresh S, Mahendra J. Multifactorial relationship of obesity and periodontal disease. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014; 8: ZE 01-03.15. Johnson RB, Serio FG. Leptin within healthy and diseased human gingiva. J Periodontol. 2001; 72: 1254-1257.
16. Suresh S, Mahendra J. Multifactorial relationship of obesity and periodontal disease. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014; 8: ZE 01-03.
17. Sunitha Jagannathachary, Dinesh Kamaraj et al; Obesity and periodontal disease. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 2010;5(1):1-5
18. Sandeep A Lawande; Obesity and periodontal disease :A multidirectional relationship :J Pharm Biomed Sci_ 2012, December; 25(25); 252-256.
19. Ritchie CS.Obesity and Periodontal disease. Periodontal 2007;44:156-63.
20. Willett WC, Hu FB, Colditz GA, Manson JE. Underweight, overweight, obesity, and excess deaths. JAMA. 2005;294:551.
21. Dalla Vecchia CF, Susin C, Rösing CK, Oppermann RV, Albandar JM. Overweight and obesity as risk indicators for periodontitis in adults. J Periodontol. 2005;76:1721–8.
22. Chaffee BW, Weston SJ. Association between chronic periodontal disease and obesity: a systematic review and meta‐analysis. J Periodontol 2010;81(12):1708-
23. Tjepkema M. Adult obesity. Health Rep 2006;17:9‑25.
24. Prabhati G, Romesh S. Relationship between obesity and periodontitis: A cross sectional study. Int J Appl Dent Sci 2019;5:215‑8.
25. Silie A, Miguel V, Sergio L, Andres P. Review of obesity & periodontitis:An epidemiological view. Br J Dent 2019;227:235‑9.