Imaging approach to find Osteoporosis in Pre & Post Menopausal Women in Urban & Rural Area
Background: The number of women with osteoporosis i.e. with reduced bone mass and disruption of bone architecture is gradually increasing in the Indian subcontinent and has been reported throughout the country. This condition majorly affects post-menopausal females and very often remains undiagnosed leading to various complications later. This study was therefore planned to ascertain the role of panoramic radiographs as a screening tool for osteoporosis using radio morphometric indices in postmenopausal women.
Materials and Methods: The study comprised a study group of 60 post‑menopausal women, divided into 2 sub‑groups (Urban & Rural), each comprising of 30 individuals, depending on their occupation and domicile. The panoramic radiographs of all the study subjects were recorded for evaluation of 3 radio-morphometric indices viz. Mandibular Cortical Index (MCI), Mental Index (MI) & Panoramic Mandibular Index (PMI).
Result: Statistical analysis revealed higher significant values for all the radio-morphometric indices in rural than in urban postmenopausal women.
Conclusion: The study suggests that a panoramic radiograph can be used as an effective screening tool for osteoporosis using various radio-morphometric indices.
2. Khojastehpour L, Mogharrabi S, Dabbaghmanesh MH, Iraji Nasrabadi N. Comparison of the mandibular bone densitometry measurement between normal, osteopenic and osteoporotic postmenopausal women. J Dent (Tehran). 2013;10(3):203-9.
3. Leite AF, Figueiredo PT, Guia CM, Melo NS, de Paula AP. Correlations between seven panoramic radiomorphometric indices and bone mineral density in post menopausal women. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010; 109(3):449
4. McCormick RK .Osteoporosis: integrating biomarkers and other diagnostic correlates into the management of bone fragility. Altern Med Rev 2007; 12:113–145.
5. Ramesh A, Mahajan K, Thomas B, Shenoy N, Bhandary R. Alveolar bone mass in pre- and postmenopausal women with serum calcium as a marker: a comparative study. Indian J Dent Res. 2011;22(6):878.
6. Sadat-Ali M, Al Elq AH, Al-Turki HA, Al-Mulhim FA, Al-Ali AK. Influence of vitamin D levels on bone mineral density and osteoporosis. Ann Saudi Med. 2011;31(6):602-608.
7. Link TM. Osteoporosis imaging: state of the art and advanced imaging. Radiology. 2012;263(1):3-17.
8. Njeh CF, Genant HK. Bone loss. Quantitative imaging techniques for assessing bone mass in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res 2000;2:446 50.
9. Vijay G, Chitroda PK, Katti G, Shahbaz S, Baba I, Bhuvaneshwari. Prediction of osteoporosis using dental radiographs and age in females. J Midlife Health. 2015;6(2):70-75.
10. Nikose S, Singh P, Khan S, Arora M, Taywade S, et al. (2015) Prevalence of Osteoporosis in Female Population in Rural Central India [By Calcaneal Ultrasound]. J Women’s Health Care 4: 262.
11. Osteoporosis: review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and cost-effectiveness analysis. Executive summary. Osteoporos Int. 1998;8 Suppl 4:S3-6.
12. Verheij JG, Geraets WG, van der Stelt PF, Horner K, Lindh C, Nicopoulou-Karayianni K, Jacobs R et al. Prediction of osteoporosis with dental radiographs and age. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009;38(7):431-7.
13. Alapati S, Reddy RS, Tatapudi R, Kotha R, Bodu NK, Chennoju S. Identifying risk groups for osteoporosis by digital panoramic radiography. Contemp Clin Dent. 2015;6(Suppl 1):S253-S257.
14. Njeh CF, Genant HK. Bone loss. Quantitative imaging techniques for assessing bone mass in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res. 2000;2(6):446-450.
15. Barclay L. Guidelines issued for screening men for osteoporosis. Ann Intern Med 2008;148:680-4.
16. Jin H, Ralston SH. Genetics of Osteoporosis. Curr Rheumatol Rep 2005; 7: 66-70.
17. Horner K, Devlin H, Alsop CW, Hodgkinson IM, Adams JE. Mandibular bone mineral density as a predictor of skeletal Osteoporosis. Br J Radiol 1996; 69: 1019-1025.
18. Amam A, Rustom J. Assessment of Mandibular Alveolar Bone Density in Osteoporotic Adults in Syria. Open Journal of Dentistry and Oral Medicine. 2014; 2(2): 26-32.
19. Cooper, A.,Cooper, B.B. A treatise on dislocations and on fractures of the joints. Churchill. London, United Kingdom. 822;425
20. 20. Hastar E, Yilmaz HH, Orhan H. Evaluation of mental index, mandibular cortical index and panoramic mandibular index on dental panoramic radiographs in the elderly. Eur J Dent. 2011;5(1):60-67.
21. 21. Sharma S, Khandelwal S. Effective risk assessment tools for osteoporosis in the Indian menopausal female. J Midlife Health. 2010;1(2):79-85.