Tunnel technique for maxillary and mandibular flabby ridge using palatal splinting tray system : Clinical report
Complete dentures function in the oral cavity of geriatric patients hence they must be in harmony with the normal neuromuscular system. ‘Fibrous’ or ‘flabby’ alveolar ridges pose significant problems during impression making retention and stability are compromised due to movable underlying tissue. These mobile denture-bearing tissues are displaced by masticatory forces and thus they alter the position of denture with resultant loss of peripheral seal. Forces that are exerted during impression making cause distortion of mobile tissues. Resulting in instability affecting function. In this paper, the authors have proposed a newer technique of impression making of the flabby tissues along with the application of neutral zone concept is also incorporated into impression making which ensures an accurate and easy impression of these flabby tissues leading to successful complete denture therapy
1. Jayaprakash MB, Sahu K, Khan M, Khoriya S, Jadhav S, Kendre B, Lukaram A. Management of Flabby Ridge Cases: A Challenge in Clinical Practice. Int J Adv Health Sci 2014; 1(5): 32-37.
2. Satish gupta et.al Palatal splinting using two part tray system- a new approach towards flabby ridges: a clinical report Indian journal of dental sciences. 2015;7(1):79-80.
3. Kapila chakarvarty. Managing flabby tissue with different impression techniques: a case series ijocr.2015; 3 (2):95-99.
4. Mageshwariet.al .Neutral zone concept for severely resorbed ridges - a clinical report Int. J. Pharm. Med. Res. 2017; 5(2):438-444.
5. Ali.M, chaturvedi s., shah m .Innovative tunnel technique for mandibular flabby ridge.int. j. dent.clinics. 2012;4(2): 74-76.
6. Management of flabby ridge cases: a challenge in clinical practice. int j adv health sci 2014; 1(5): 32-37.
7. Mariyamali, Saurabh chaturvedi, Mayank shah. innovative tunnel technique for mandibular flabby ridge int .journal of dental clinic 2021;4 (2):73-76.
8. Pavan dubey, Shruti gupta, Pankaj, Atul bhatnagar .Stock tray modification for two-stage impression technique for recording flabby ridges: report of a case series j pre clin dent res 2014;2(5):1-5.
9. Asnani p., chandugs.,mishra sk. Neutral zone technique in complete denture –case report, journal of applied dental and medical sciences 2015; 1:1:15-18.
10. Osborne j. two impression methods for mobile fibrous ridges. br dent j 1964; 117: 392–4.
11. Krishna lahoti.Management of maxillary flabby tissue & highly resorbed mandibular ridges
j dent oral health 2016; 3: 105
12.Kashyap R, Begum Z, Hilal M. Minimally displacive impres¬sion technique: A clinical report. International Journal of clinical cal Dental Science. 2011;2(4).
13. Porwal A, Jain P, Biradar SP, Nelogi S. Neutral zone approach for rehabilitation of severely atrophic ridge. International Jour¬nal of Dental Clinics. 2010;2(3).
14. Applebaum EM, HC R. Wax base development for complete denture impressions. J Prosthet Dent. 1985;53:663.
15. Addison PI. Mucostatic impressions. J Am Dent Assoc. 1944;31:941-6.
18. Davis D. Complete Dentures: From Planning to Problem Solving. British Dental Journal. 2004;196(12):786.