Juvenile Peripheral Ossifying Fibroma – A rare case report and review
Peripheral ossifying fibroma, first reported by Shepard in 1844 as alveolar exostosis, is a non-neoplastic reactive lesion arising as a focal exophytic mass exclusively on the gingiva originating from the interdental area and shows no bone involvement in most cases. The lesion shows propensity for maxilla and incisor-cuspid region with female predilection. The etiological factors include local factors causing gingival irritation like calculus, plaque, ill fitting dentures or orthodontic appliances; and hormonal influence, initiate exhuberant connective tissue response. The lesion shows high recurrence potential , necessitating proper identification, treatment and effective long-term recall protocol. This case report presents a relatively rare case of juvenile peripheral ossifying fibroma in relation to mandibular central & lateral incisors in an adolescent female child followed for upto 1 year
after surgical excision
2. Poonacha KS, Shigli AL, Shirol D. Peripheral ossifying fibroma: A clinical report. Contemp Clin Dent 2010;1:54 6.
3. Kumar R S, Sateesh CP, Shreedhar A. Peripheral ossifying fibroma: A rarity in elderly males. J Dent Sci Res 2017;2:1 5.
4. Killi VP, Penmatsa T, Narendra R. Peripheral ossifying fibroma:A case report. Int J Case Rep Imaging 2012;3:11-4.
5. Eversole LR, Rovin S. Reactive lesions of the gingiva. J Oral Pathol 1972;1:30 8.
6. Gardner DG. The peripheral odontogenic fibroma: An attempt at clarification. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1982;54:40 8.
7. Kenney JN, Kaugars GE, Abbey LM. Comparison between the peripheral ossifying fibroma and peripheral odontogenic fibroma. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1989;47:378 82.
8. Kumar SK, Ram S, Jorgensen MG, Shuler CF, Sedghizadeh PP. Multicentric peripheral ossifying fibroma. J Oral Sci 2006;48:239 43.
9. Kapoor H, Arora R. A massive peripheral ossifying fibroma–uncommon presentation of a common lesion. J Oral Health Dent Manag 2014;13:940 5.
10. Subramanyam RV. Misnomers in oral pathology. Oral Dis 2010;16:740 6.
11. Farquhar T, Maclellan J, Dyment H, Anderson RD. Peripheral ossifying fibroma: A case report. J Can Dent Assoc 2008;74:809 12.
12. Ramu S, Rodrigues C. Reactive hyperplastic lesions of the gingiva: A retrospective study of 260 cases. World J Dent 2012;3:126 30.
13. Buchner A, Hansen LS. The histomorphologic spectrum of peripheral ossifying fibroma. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1987;63:452 61.
14. Cuisia ZE, Brannon RB. Peripheral ossifying fibroma – A clinical evaluation of 134 pediatric cases. Pediatr Dent 2001;23:245 8.
15. Neville B. Oral and maxillofacial pathology 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders, Elsevier; 2009.
16. Mergoni G, Meleti M, Magnolo S, Giovannacci I, Corcione L, Vescovi P. Peripheral ossifying fibroma: A clinicopathologic study of 27 cases and review of the literature with emphasis on histomorphologic features. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2015;19:83 7.
17. Rajendran R, Sivapathasundharam B, Sahfer W. Shafer’s Textbook of Oral Pathology. 6th ed. India: Elsevier; 2009.
18. Poon CK, Kwan PC, Chao SY. Giant peripheral ossifying fibroma of the maxilla: Report of a case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1995;53:695 8.
19. Chatterjee A, Ajmera N, Singh A. Peripheral cemento ossifying fibroma of maxilla. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2010;14:186 9.
20. Chaudhari S, Umarji HR. Peripheral ossifying fibroma in the oral cavity: MRI findings. Case Rep Dent 2011;2011:190592.
21. Miller CS, Henry RG, Damm DD. Proliferative mass found in the gingiva. J Am Dent Assoc 1990;121:559 60.
22. Orkin DA, Amaidas VD. Ossifying fibrous epulis. An abbreviated case report. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1984;57:147 8.