A split mouth clinical study to compare Subepithelial connective tissue graft and Guided tissue regeneration in the treatment of Miller’s class I and II gingival recession.
Background: Gingival recession (GR) can result in hypersensitivity, esthetic concern to the patient, and chances for root caries. The purpose of this randomized clinical study was to evaluate the effect of guided tissue regeneration (GTR) procedure using a bioabsorbable collagen membrane in comparison to autogenous Subepithelial connective tissue graft (SCTG) for root coverage in Miller’s class I and II gingival recession defects.
Materials and methods: In this split mouth study, 10 patients with 20 contralateral Miller’s class I or II recession defects were randomly treated with coronally advanced flap using either Subepithelial connective tissue graft (control group) or resorbable collagen membrane (experimental group). The clinical evaluations were done using plaque index, gingival index, height of gingival recession, probing sulcus depth and clinical attachment level at baseline, 3 and 6 months post- operatively.
Results: Data analysis was done using descriptive statistics and student’s t test was used for comparisons. P value <0.01 was considered to be significant. Both the groups showed complete resolution of the defects at 6 months post operatively. Inter group comparison between both the groups at 6 months showed no statistically significant differences in any of the clinical parameters.
Conclusion: Predictable outcome were observed in both the groups and indicated that collagen based guided tissue regeneration membrane i.e. ProGide can be safely used.
1. Loe H, Aneurd A, Boysen H. The natural history periodontal diseases in man; prevalence; severity and extent of gingival recession. J Periodontol 1992;63:489-495.
2. Sogannaes RF. Periodontal significance of intraoral frictional ablation. J West SocPeriodontol 1977; 25: 112.
3. Gormann WJ. Prevalence and etiology of gingival recession. J Periodontol 1967; 38: 316-322.
4. American academy of Periodontology. Glossary of periodontal terms, 4th ed. Chicago. The American Academy of Periodontology 2001; 49.
5. Langer B, Langer L. Subepithelial connective tissues graft technique for root coverage. J Periodontol 1985; 56: 715-720.
6. Tinti C., Vincenzi G. Treatment of gingival recession by GTR technique with gore- tex membrane clinical variation. Quintessence Int 1990; 6: 465-4
7. Trombelli L, Farina R., Scabbia A. Guided tissue regeneration in human gingival recessions. J ClinPeriodontol 2005; 32: 16- 20.
8. Robert Carvalho Da Silva, Julio Cesar Joly, Antonio Fernando Martorelli de Lima. Root coverage using the coronally positioned flap with or without a Subepithelial connective tissue graft. J Periodontol 2004; 75: 413- 419.
9. Langer B, Langer L. Subepithelial connective tissues graft technique for root coverage. J Periodontol 1985; 56: 715-720.
10. O` Brien WD, Mishkin DJ, Engler WO, Miller MC, Neville BW. GTR using a biodegradable membrane for new attachment: A clinical, histological, and histometric study in dogs. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 1995; 15: 446-461.
11. Elizabeth P. Rosetti, Rosemary Adriana C., Marcantonio, Carlos RossssaJr, Eros S. Chaves, Gilbert Golssis. Treatment of gingival recession: comparative study between subepithelial connective tissue graft and guided tissue regeneration. J Periodontol 2000; 71: 1441- 1447
12. Michele Paolantonio. Treatment of gingival recessions by combined periodontal regenerative technique, Guided tissue regeneration, and subpedicle connective tissue graft. A comparative clinical study. J Periodontol 2002; 73:53- 62.
13. Christine Romagna- Genon. Comparative clinical study of guided tissue regeneration with a bioabsorbable bilayer collagen membrane and subepithelial connective tissue graft. J Periodontol 2001; 72: 1258- 1264.
14. Arthur B. Novaes Jr., Daniela C., Gustavo O., Molina et al. Comparative 6 – month clinical study of a subepithelial connective tissue graft and acellular dermal tissue graft for the treatment of gingival recession. J Periodontol 2001; 72: 177-1484.
15. Borghetti A, Glise J-M, Monnet-Corti V, Dejou J. Comparative clinical study of a bioabsorbable membrane and subepithelial connective tissue graft in a treatment of human gingival recession. J Periodontol 1999; 70: 123-130.