Hemisection: An alternative to extraction : A case report
Hemisection is sectioning of multi-rooted teeth followed by removal of compromised root along with its associated crown portion and leaving the healthy root (with crown) intact. This treatment option can be considered when caries, resorption, perforation, or periodontal damage is restricted to one root while the other root is relatively healthy. The most critical factor determiningthe long term success in such cases is the appropriate case selection. This case report describes a case of hemisectionof a mandibular molar followed by adequate restoration in a young patient.
2. Sharma S, Sharma R, Ahad A, Gupta ND, Mishra SK. Hemisection as a Conservative Management Of Grossly Carious Permanent Mandibular First Molar. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2018;9(1):97-99.
3. Green, E. N. (1986). Hemisection and root amputation. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 112(4), 511–518.
4. Mittal P, Prasad AB, RaisinganiD,Amit, Mehta P, Soni D, Khurana D. Hemisection: A Savior for Hopeless Teeth. J Mahatma Gandhi Univ Med Sci Tech 2016;(1):30-34.
5. Weine FS. Endodontic Therapy. 5th ed. St. Louis, USA: Mosby; 1996. p. 154-68.
6. Park JB. Hemisection of teeth with questionable prognosis. J Int AcadPeriodontol 2009;11(3),214-19.
7. Haskell EW, Stanley HR. Vital hemisection of mandibular second molar. J Am Dent Assoc 1981;102:503-6.
8. Babaji P, Sihag T, Chaurasia VR, Senthinathan S. Hemisection: A conservative management of periodontally involved molar tooth in a young patient. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2015;6(1):253-5.
9. Yuh DY, Lin FG, Fang WH, Chien WC, Chung CH, Mau LP, et al. The impact of medical institutions on the treatment decisions and outcome of root-resected molars: A retrospective claims analysis from a representative database. J Med Sci. 2014;34:1–8.
10. Carnevale G, Di Febo G, Tonelli MP, Marin C, Fuzzi M. A retrospective analysis of the periodontal-prosthetic treatment of molars with interradicular lesions. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1991;11:189–205.
11. Sharma S, Tiwari RK, Mishra SK, Kharade PP. Conservative management of grossly carious mandibular first molar with a hemisection approach. Gen Dent 2015;63(4):19-21.
12. Saaad MN, Moreno J, Crawford C. Hemisection as an aiternative treatment for multirooted terminal abutment: A case report. J Can Dent Assoc 2009;75(5),387-90.
13. Schmitt SM, Brown FH. The Hemisected Mandibular Molar: A Strategic Abutment. J Prosthet Dent 1987;58(2),140-45.