A Pressure Cup Denture Pre-eminent to Oronasal Communication: A Case Report
a surgical closure of oronasal communication using posteriorly based palatal rotational flap
: In this case report, we present a surgical closure of 62 years old women diagnosed with oronasal communication using posteriorly based palatal rotational flap. For obtaining the satisfactory outcomes for construction of complete denture with adequate retention in maxilla use of the suction cups is one of the technique. Palatal suction cups induce negative pressure on mucosal surface and provides the high retention excruciating to palatal perforation. An oronasal fistula is a pathologic epithelium-lined communication between the nasal and oral cavities. An obturator is placed to prevent from further infection. There are various methods of surgical closure depending on the size and destruction of tissues around the fistula. Palatal obturators are frequently used in the initial treatment of postoperative palatal fistulae to address the associated problems experienced with speech and swallowing.
2. Hal&worth, W. G.: Cleft Lip and Palate, ccl. 3, London, 1963, William Heinemann
Medical Books, Ltd.
3. Tucker, K. M., and Seth, V. K.: Treatment of an Unusual Oronasal Fistula, OECAL SURG.,ORAL MED.&ORAL PATH.~~: 815,1967.
4. Williams, G. : Fistula in Hard Palate Following Prolonged Use of Rubber Suction Disc,
Brit. D. J. 88: 72, 1959.
5. Negro, F., and Graziano, V.: Palate-Nasal Fistulae Originating From Dental Prosthesis
With Suction Cup, Brit. J. Oral Surg. 2: 151, 1964.
6. Huebsch, R.: Gumma of the Hard Palate With Perforation, ORAL Sm., ORAL MED. &
ORAL PATH. 8: 690, 1955.
7. Lighterman, I., Watanabe, Y., and Hidaka, T.: Leprosy of the Oral Cavity and Adnexa,
ORAL SURG., ORAL MED. &ORAL PATH. 15: 1178, 1962.
8. MacGregor, A. J.: Patent Nasopalatine Canal, ORAL SURG., ORAL MED. & ORAL PATH.18: 285, 1964.
9. Law MY, Chung RW, Lam OL. Prosthetic rehabilitation of an edentulous patient with an oronasal fistula. J Prosthet Dent 2015;113:347.
10. Marimaran K, Kannan PS, Kannan P. Oro nasal fistula closure by tongue flap. JIADS 2011;2:60.
11. el-Leathy MM, Attia MF. Closure of palatal fistula with bucco-labial myomucosalpedicled flap. J Ann PediatrSurg 2009;5:104-8
12. Rao Y, Yadav P, Singh J, Patel D, Aggarwal A. Surgical and prosthetic management of suction cup induced palatal perforation: Case report. J ClinDiagn Res 2013;7:2086-7.
13. Rao Y, Yadav P, Singh J, Patel D, Aggarwal A. Surgical and prosthetic management of suction cup induced palatal perforation: Case report. J ClinDiagn Res, 2013;7:2086-2087.
14. Block MS. Use of local flaps in intraoral reconstructive surgery. In: Peterson LJ, Indresano AT, Marciani RD, Roser SM. Principles of oral and maxillofacial surgery 2. ed.,Philadelphia: 1997. pp:947-985.
15. Turk AE, Chabng J, Soroudi A.E, Lineaweawer WC. Free flap closure in complex congenital and acquired defects of the palate. Ann PlastSurg, 2000;45:274-279.
16. Seckel NG. The palatal island flap on retrospection. PlastReconstrSurg 1995;96:1262- 8.
17. Millard Jr DR. Wide and/or short cleft palate. PlastReconstr Surg1962;29:40 - 57.
18. James RB. Surgical closure of large oroantral fistulas using a palatal island flap. J Oral Surg 1980;38:591-5.
19. Cohen SR, Kalinowski J, Larossa D, Randall P, Cleft palate fistulas: A multivariate statistical analysis of prevalence, etiology, and surgical management. PlastReconstr Surg,1991;87:1041-1047.
20. Rintala A. A double, overlapping hinge flap to close palatal fistula. Scand J PlastReconstrSurg, 1971;5:91-95.
21. Schultz CR. Management and timing of cleft palate fistula repair. PlastReconstr Surg,1986;18:739-745.
22. Moore BA, Magdy E, Netterville JL, et al. Palatal reconstruction with the palatal island flap. Laryngoscope 2003;113:946 - 51.
23. Gendron EM, Lee BB, Urken ML. The palatal island flap for reconstruction of palatal and retromolartrigone defects revisited. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2001;127:837 - 41.
24. Moore BA, Magdy E, Netterville JL, et al. Palatal reconstruction with the palatal island flap. Laryngoscope 2003;113:946 - 51.